A Peek into the day to day life of a busy family

Friday, October 9, 2009

Conference

It has been a few years since I have been able to actually sit down with my notebook, take notes and enjoy and understand conference. I have really missed that. When you are a kid you can't wait until conference is over and the only good thing about it is that you get to miss church, but as you get older you appreciate it more because you are better able to understand it.


I have always thought that my kids were too young to really listen to conference, but as I was reading different blogs of what families do for conference I decided that this year I was going to try to prepare ahead and plan some activities for my kids to do so that I could enjoy conference and they could also get something out of it. Now is a good time to start teaching them the importance of listening to the prophet and the apostles. So, I printed up some activity packets with mazes and coloring pictures and things for them to do. I also printed up some Bingo Cards so they could listen to things as they were being said. My daughter liked her packet more than her brother did, especially the dot to dot and they both really liked playing Bingo and the actually sat and listened to the words so they could get bingo. Even, my youngest son was relatively good, he got a little stinky but then he was good. There was only a little bit of arguing and I really got to learn from conference. I am really glad I took the time to prepare.

I was amazed at how many of the speakers spoke about Love. Jeffery R. Hollands talk was very powerful and one of our favorites, my husband absolutely loved it. He loved how emotional he was in his talke. I enjoyed it also and I really liked bother Bednar's talk and President Eyrings. Bednar's talk is the one that sticks out the most with me right now. He gave us great incite into how we can better help our families by expressing and showing our love to them and how the most important thing that we can do is to be consistent. It is comforting to know that as long as we are consistent in trying to follow what the Lord has asked us to do we will be blessed. It can be hard to always have family home evening, scripture study, and family prayer to name a few, but as long as we are consistently trying to do these things it will bless our lives and those of our children and they will see how important these things are for us. I love conference and I can not wait to read it over again.

What were some of your favorite talks??

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

My favorites were Elder Holland's and Elder Bednar's, too! They were just amazing.