A Peek into the day to day life of a busy family

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Presidents Day in San Francisco

The kids were off on Lincoln's birthday this year and I was going to be brave and conquer my fear of venturing into San Francisco on my own and take them to go see the Academy of Science there. As it turned out we went to the park instead and stayed around here because Jacob had a play date with one of his friends and he had really been wanting to go over and play. We had a good day, but I decided that I would take them there on President's day instead.

I told my husband my plans and he decided to take a day off of work that day and come with us. It was great to have him home. Well, I went to work out that morning and we ended up getting out of the house later than I had planned. We did not leave here until 10am and when we arrived at Golden Gate park there was absolutely no where to park. My son, who is the complainer, was complaining and wanted to go home (of course he only wanted to go home because he wanted to play his DS. After we said he was not going to be able to play it he was better). I was a little upset and said to just go home. Some fun family outing.


My husband is really great at turning a bad thing into a good thing when he wants to be. Instead of going straight home he drove over to the Golden Gate Bridge and we parked and walked on it for a little while. It was very foggy so we did not really get to see much, but we took some pictures anyway. Then as we were going to turn around and go back over the bridge to go home he saw the sign for Sausalito, so we went for a little drive down the main street and that was fun. Then we headed back over to the bridge. When we got back to the bridge we saw the fog had lifted, so we stopped and took a picture with the bridge in the background and then we got in the car and headed home. On the way, we drove down Lombard Street, something else the kids have never done, and then we stopped at my husbands favorite store and bought him some ties at a great price (he loves his ties).



What started out as a bad experience turned into a fun one with some good memories all thanks to my wonderful husband and trying to have a positive outlook instead of heading down the grumpy road. I also decided that when my parents come to visit over Spring Break I am going to take the kids to the Exploritorium (we can get in for free on that Wednesday) and possibly try the museum again, instead of just sitting around home. As long as Abuela and Grandpa are coming to visit we might as well go sight seeing. Maybe we will check out the train museum in Sacramento as well. I know Grandpa would love that. Anyone want to come along? What are some other good places to see around here?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That is so fun! We were out on the bridge and driving down Lombard street on President's day weekend too! :) I have wondered a few different times when going into the city why on earth we were putting so much effort into something, but it usually ends up paying off. I'm glad it ended up being such a great outing! :)

My absolute favorite kid's museum is the Bay Area Discovery Museum that is just over the Golden Gate Bridge on the Sausalito side. It's down in the old army barracks and they turned it into the cutest kid's museum. It is by far my favorite kid place. I highly recommend it :)

Sophia said...

the Exporitorium was my absolute favorite field trip in elementary school! I especially loved the tactile dome. I would go again if I could:)