A Peek into the day to day life of a busy family

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Grasshoppers get their Gold!!

This last Saturday Jacob and Alyssa both got their gold belts. Most of the Grasshoppers in their class, with the exception of maybe two had already gotten their belts. Because of his Asperger's Jacob has a little trouble concentrating and being still. He is very easily distracted and sometimes in his own world. Alyssa just likes to do her own thing sometimes and tends to goof around a little too much. When she chooses to pay attention and cooperate, she is really good. I think that their listening skills, or lack thereof, have held them back a little (of course given that both of them seem to have that problem I am sure that the parenting has something to do with the acquired skill). At any rate, I digress. It is a little ironic because Jeff and I were just joking about how Jacob would be getting his gold belt on his 8th birthday.

Normally there is a ceremony for belt graduation where everyone who is getting a belt participates. I have never actually been to a belt graduation, but Sifu thought that it would be too much for them and counterproductive, so he decided to present them their belts after their class on Saturday. As it turns out it was and extremely small class that day (4 with Jacob and Alyssa). Another little boy also got his belt that day. He was Autistic and it was really neat to watch him. He was pretty good.

They both very excited to get their belts and did some great kicks. Right after Alyssa received her belt she yelled out "Yay, now I get to play the WII all day!" Everyone laughed at that. Now Jacob tells me how excited he is to go to Kung Fu because he is a Gold belt and they get to learn forms. I am so proud of both of them and hope that they can get better at Kung Fu and at listening. And now I leave you with some Kung Fu action pictures that I took that day before and after they got their new Gold belts.




No comments: